Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Navigation

Dean,

I'm hoping something practical and accurate is available in an inertial navigation system. What makes that particularly attractive is that it is self-contained and doesn't depend on any external signal. They were in use on the F-4's over 40 years ago.

Jim T

From: Recon1st@aol.com
Sender: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 13:43:46 EST
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
ReplyTo: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Navigation

Jim I  think navigation would be a good topic for this
group to discuss. I for one am at a loss for a solution.

I so like my gps system on my surface support boat I want
something decent under water.

How does the military do it? Lots of money I am sure
but seems something better than a compass could be
done.

I am leaning towards a tracking beacon on the sub and
get nav directions from support boat.

Dean