[PSUBS-MAILIST] Design questions

Hey guys,

I know that this has probably been addressed but I'm trying to figure out the differences in the specs for replacing metal when putting in the 'nozzle' known as the conning tower.  I remember the RFC about the 100% rule but wasn't familiar enough with the different rules and theories to put in my $.02...  Is there a 'cliff notes' that explains the differences between the disparity with ABS vs. 100%?

Seperate topic:  I'm starting to design my ballast system and was wondering about the advantages of using flexible hose vs. ss tube.  Has anyone used hydraulic system hoses and valves for their ballast?  Should you use them?

Lastly, and most humerously...  Those with K-boats or a similar sized sub that you homebuilt:  What did you use for your main hull?  used propane tank, had it fabricated...?  I know that Cliff's R-300 was scratch built...I also know he has a PhD, whereas I only have an AS (read: not very experienced in mechanical fabrication...).

Thanks,

Ben Fritz