Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K350 salvage concept

Hi Lawie,

thanks for the extra information.

I think your thoughts on moving the drop weights below the main hull
along the center are correct.  This will lower the center of gravity
and increase the righting force that they provide.  In fact, moving
all the heavy/negatively buoyant components (batteries, drop weights,
static weights, etc.) to as close to the center and as low down as
possible would be a good idea.

Are the vertical fins at the rear controllable rudders?  If so, maybe
consider moving them to aft of the thruster, this will allow you to
maneuver at lower speeds.

Using a spreadsheet is probably quicker/cheaper way of calculating
the displacement, weights and balances rather than building a model.
Building a model is a good idea, but maybe do a few iterations in
a spreadsheet first.  You can easily calculate the weights and volumes
of the components.  Then assign each component an x,y,z value with
0,0,0 being approximately the center of the sub and calculate the
center of gravity, center of buoyancy and moments at various pitch
and roll angles (with and without the drop weights attached to
make sure it doesn't float upside down after the drop weights have
been released.

Good luck!
Cheers,
 Ian.