Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] K350 salvage concept

Good morning, Lawrie,

Over all it's a pretty neat looking concept.

The battery pods are what the sub would land on when on deck with all the weight and stress transferred to the point where the wings attach to the main hull.  If you place a pair of skids running fore and aft along the bottom of the hull at approximately 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock, this would relieve the upward stress on the wing attachments.  You would need to shorten the arms of the pods so they don't extend below the level of the skids.  As you mentioned in your reply to Ian, this arrangement would also allow you to move your drop weights from the wings to the skids which should significantly lower the center of gravity and improve stability particularly on the surface.  It would also free up room in the wings for more ballast/buoyancy which would farther increase stability.  If you plan to step on the wings to get from the sub to a dock or boat, you definitely want adequate buoyancy under your feet.  The longer the wings are, the more leverage your body weight will have to push down on the wings when transferring.

However if the sub is suspended in the air by chains during launch and recovery, you still have the issue of downward stress at the attachment points of the wings due to the weight of the batteries and everything else attached to the wings.  You'll still have some of that same stress when the sub is in the water although it will be reduced.

Consider moving the battery pods inward and attaching them to mounts on the hull.  This would relieve a lot of the stress on the wings and could have other benefits as well such as anti-roll.

You mentioned fore and aft oil tanks in the wings for adjusting trim.  Generally you want to keep the buoyancy higher up and the weight lower down.  Some have set the batteries on rails so they could shift them fore and aft for trim.  This would make your battery pods more complex, but eliminate the need for your oil tanks completely (even more room for buoyancy in the wings, too).

I'm considering trim-by-battery (mine are in the main hull), but also considering having the drop weights shift fore and aft.  The other alternative is that I will have lead trim weights in a carriage within the hull where I can easily add or subtract weights (depending on whether or not there is a passenger).  No matter which of the three I end up using, I intend to use an electric worm drive (such as on some garage door openers) to shift the weight fore and aft.

Are you thinking more in terms of launching from the deck of a tender or from a trailer at a boat ramp?

Thanks for sharing your drawings.  Keep it going.  You have me re-thinking something on my primary design.

Cheers,
Jim T