[PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure testing with a vacuum pump

Hi,
I just started thinking about the idea of doing a preliminary pressure test on my hull (when it's made)
by fitting a vacuum pump to the outside. This would be done on the bare hull but with the dome view port in place.
I would need to have a negative pressure of 250 psi.
Does this sound reasonable? Are there cheap vacuum pumps that can produce this negative pressure or are there
air pumps that I could modify & attach the intake to the hull ???
Or has anyone done this?
Regards Alan