Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Best source for structural calculations

Let me see if I can be a bit clearer.

Of course our field of interest draws on many fields of science, engineering and technology. I have all the basic science and engineering references, plus some semi-specialized books on naval architecture and so on. My own specialties are aeronautical engineering (lighter than air) and aero-propulsion, especially ducted propulsors. I also have a long-standing interest in shell structures and in ferrocement shells for both housing and boats.

What I'm looking for is a text that treats submarine structures SPECIFICALLY, starting with the basic system of forces acting on the pressure hull (which in most manned subs will be the major structural member) and progressing from there, first to the exact mathematical relations used in stress analysis OF THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF STRUCTURE SUBJECTED TO THIS SYSTEM OF FORCES, and from there to the approximate formulas needed for preliminary design.

I have what I THINK is a valid picture of the forces on the pressure hull, and I've been accumulating literature on axisymmetric structures under combined - external pressure and axial compresion - loading, but there's longitudinal bending to be taken care of, too, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track, because I'm basically self-taught in structures.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Marc