Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] counter rotational

David,

The reduction in prop noise with CR props is very interesting.

I'm seeking 5 to 8 knots top speed, but may end up adjusting my expectations.  Even with that capability, much of your operation and mine will still be at 3 knots or less.  I'm considering putting the stern planes and the rudder in the prop stream for greater response and manouverability.  The problem is they get in each other's way.  Here are a couple of videos on how Nemo-100 handled it.  You can pause the first one at 00:20 to get a good look.  The second video is better for observing it in operation.  Both videos took several minutes to load.

I don't know yet what the rear of my sub will look like and may not take this approach.  One other I'm considering is having a single rear main thruster that rotates up and down, left and right, but that presents its own problems as well.  Due to other responsibilities, it will be several months before I can seriously work on that design issue.  Maybe by then I will have seen somebody's design that I really like.

What is the basic shape of your design?  By the way, I notice that Volvo uses the term counter- instead of contra- in their description.

Jim