From: hc.fulton@gmail.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] x prize goes ocean
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 08:55:23 +1300

If only we could achieve what you say Vance.  I think the most we will get to is to be similar to the aviation industry where people have a number of 2, 4 and six seater aircraft that they use for recreation and sight seeing.  However there are many people who are terrified of going in a small vessel under the water.  More so than in small aircraft. I was amazed when I had the Comsub exhibited at a boatshow that so many guys passed the comment that “You wouldn’t catch me in that thing”. You need good visibility like flying and some instrument rated pilots for the murky waters. Graham Hawkes “flying” sub is one to inspire the populace but impossible to get out of without the freeboard in a small chop and poor bottom viewing.  Bus tours are impersonal, I think that something similar to Nuytco’s new 5 seater or Emile and Carstens new creations are the answer.  ROV’s are like artificial insemination or X-box.  Requires a lot of skill, fun to do but where is the excitement.  We need subs that are independent of surface boats and with good nav systems.  Commercially very difficult to get that cost down and to make it pay on a tourism basis. We need the innovative low cost answers that will come from the David Bartsch’s of the world.  I am a believer in the twin propulsion systems of diesel / electric to enable battery recharging and surface range. However you cannot get all that on a trailer easily.  Enough rambling but I am sure that day will come when we see the increase in small subs.   Hugh