Sent: Friday, December 17, 2010 6:24 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Design depth

I have not been able to get the latest under-pressure software to work on my computer, however previous DOS versions did not take enough factors into account for serious manned or unmanned designs, in my opinion.  It has some use to provide a general idea of some limitations, however I believe the ABS spreadsheet available from PSUBS takes many more factors into account and will provide a better design.  For thick wall vessels (no ribs) you can also use the "unstiffened cylinder" calculator on PSUBS which also is based strictly upon ABS formula.

For PVC, you can compare the results of the under-pressure program with the information in http://www.us.piping.georgefischer.com/external/us_handbook/03.pdf

What size PVC where you contemplating using?

Jon