Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Getting Started

Manned Submersibles and this group are probably the best resources for general information about the mechanical and structural aspects of submarines. There are many other resources that people on this list can point you too as well, especially when you start getting into more specific areas of research. I agree with Ian's advice and recommend that you create a list of requirements for how you intend to use your sub first, then design to fit those requirements. Otherwise you may end up with a vessel that does not meet your needs. Before anything else, settle upon how you are going to transport it, get it in the water, and most importantly get to your intended dive site. These are all likely to cost you money and its important to understand you are going to require an operating budget that you can live with in addition to the costs of actually fabricating a vessel. For example, if your sub is large enough to require a boat-lift it can cost over $200 to have your vessel put in the water each time you want to dive.

If you decide to design your own sub rather than build from existing plans you will need to read and become very familiar with ABS or ASME design guidelines. It can be exhausting and a bit of a paper chase (lots of sections reference other sections) BUT is also very rewarding. We have links to these organizations on our web site so check them out before buying any raw material to see what you are up against.

Support PSUBS by joining our group.