When I get to the point of actual tests, I'll build data charts on water speed for various rpm for a given configuration.  That's a long way off.

Cheers,
Jim

In a message dated 10/31/2010 7:08:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time, dbartsch2236@hotmail.com writes:
Alan,

   Being able to determine the speed at which you are traveling while submerged when no visual aids are there to help you would be of great importance to me. This idea you mentioned would be a much desired device. I would like to encourage you to undertake its development as the end product would be worth the while.
   I had considered a paddle that would be forced against a spring to give a mechanical indication of speed but your idea looks much better.

David Bartsch

From: alanjames@xtra.co.nz
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] speedo
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 08:55:54 +1300

Hi David,
You've got me thinking on this speed indicator idea.
On my projects page is the "Position sensor". I'm using a rotary magnetic potentiometer,
but there is a linear magnetic potentiometer shown also.
You could have a slider over the top of the linear potentiometer, with a vane that is pushed
by water movement against a spring. The vain portion has the magnet & as it slides further
along the potentiometer it changes the voltage wich is registered on the circuitry also on
my projects page. You could have the speed indicated by the LEDs as is, or output to a
panel meter. This could be calibrated in a swimming pool by either adjusting the spring size
or tension, the size of the vain, or by adjusting the display range with the pots on the circuit board.
Regards Alan