[PSUBS-MAILIST] Twin screw vs single screw

Marc,

During the development of the USS Albacore in the 50s (not to be confused with the WWII sub of the same name), they did extensive hydrodynamic and wind tunnel including twin-screw vs single screw design.  Single screw was the winner and became the standard ever after.  The Albacore was primarily a test bed and was most noted for being the first with the tear drop shaped hull which also became the standard.  The Albacore is now a museum near Jon's stomping grounds in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

The only subsequent military sub I'm aware of with twin screws is the Soviet Typhoon class, but that sucker has twin parallel main pressure hulls as well and a beam of 75 feet!

Jim T