From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Marc de Piolenc
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:10 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Nautilus vs Skate

On 9/23/2010 11:11 PM, JimToddPsub@aol.com wrote:
> The Nautilus was the first to traverse the polar ice cap.  It's been
> given credit for being the first to reach the /geographic/ North Pole
> August 3, 1958. The Skate was the first sub to surface at the North Pole
> (geographic? magnetic?) on August 2, 1958.

Definitely the geographic pole; the magnetic pole is on dry land! The
Nautilus reached the pole under the ice, but did not surface. The Skate,
which did not exist yet when Nautilus did its polar run, later surfaced
at the pole. There is no question about priority. Skate has a slightly
stronger claim to have been EXACTLY at the pole because it was able to
fix its position by sun sights; Nautilus had to rely on two (possibly
more) electronic navigation systems, including a special inertial rig
that had been installed just for that trip.

"The Seadragon surfaced on the
> same date and exchanged greetings with the Skate. I don't know why the
> Nautilus is given credit instead of the Skate.

The Seadragon/Skate meeting was later - not the day that Skate first
surfaced at the pole. Skate seems to have spent a great deal of her life
in Arctic waters.

Marc

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG