Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Does anybody have a copy of this book?

The Skate was not even built when "Nautilus 90 North" took place. Skate was the US's 3rd nuclear sub; Nautilus was the first. The story has to be wrong. Your friend may have been confused by the fact that Skate was the first to *surface* at the Pole, allowing it to get a firm, unquestionable celestial navigation fix. Nautilus, below the ice, had to rely on an inertial system supplemented by (I think) LORAN, so it could have been a little bit off. Hardly a basis for denying it priority, in my opinion.

Best,
Marc

Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog
Polymath weblog: http://www.archivale.com/weblog