Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] linear actuators

In a message dated 9/13/2010 10:44:04 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, alanjames@xtra.co.nz writes:
I just ran a small 200 Watt trawling motor in the spa pool & the force
needed to rotate it while running wasn't that much.
I'm using the actuators for dive planes and rudders. I'm not too concerned with the props trying to push the motors in any particular direction. Mostly I'm thinking about crashing into stuff and I want the actuators to be able to withstand that force.
The linkages between the actuators and components have "shear pins" of brass so if a big enough impact occurs, the pin will let go first before the motors are damaged.
I've heard of guys using olive oil for compensating. Mostly for pollution concerns.
Frank D.