From: Alan James
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 2:02 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] linear actuators

Hi Frank,
Some thoughts on not compensating the actuators.
I'm concerned that the bellows would rip away from their attachment as the
water pressure reduced the air inside them to 12th the size at 300ft depth,
or even worse if you did a pressure test of the sub with the actuators on it.
Also the compressed air might get past the piston seals into the actuator.
I did a quick calculation on the body strength based on a 2-3mm thickness
& epoxy fiberglass & I was getting a 1900 to 2,500 ft crush depth.
There is an O ring at the joining of the 2 halves of the body that could be a weakness.
I ran the same motor that was running rough on mineral oil, on WD40 & it went
fine. I've expressed my reservations about WD40 in actuators before, in that I had
plastic containers with WD40 in, that disintegrated over a couple of weeks.
However it might not effect anything in a Lenco actuator. If you compensated the
actuator you could maybe have full ocean depth??
I had a look at small brushless motors with the view of replacing the brushed motor
in an actuator, but they wanted NZ $239- for an RC motor, comparable sized brushed
motors were going for $30-.
Do you know what the maximum duty cycle is on the Lenco actuators?
I have two actuators with 60% & two with 10%, (6 minutes run time per hr max).
Regards Alan