Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 8:25 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] linear actuators

Hi, Alan
Ditto Vance's response re viscosity - but if the motor run 'jerkily' when oil comped it's usually a sign of the brushes 'floating' - that is, the oil is thrown away from the rotor surface by centrifugal force and 'lifts' the brushes -which causes the brushes to lose contact momentarily - it's a function of motor speed,viscosity and spring tension. If the motor runs at a lower rpm the spring tension is sufficient to maintain contact - so,when at high speed - the brushes float, the motor is 'off', the rpm slows, the brushes regain contact and the rpm goes up, the brushes float and so on. Hence the herky-jerky.
    Would seem that the simple remedy is to increase spring tension on the brushes - but if the motor is a variable speed ( in the case of a lineal actuator - they come both ways, fixed speed and variable) then at lower rpm, the brushes will contact the rotor at greater force and will wear down quickly, contaminating the comp oil and making it conductive - which is, of course, no bueno. You can tell a contaminated motor pretty easily, after the fact , since your nice clear baby-bum oil is now black or dark grey!
Jes' so you know!