[PSUBS-MAILIST] External MBT of Polypropylene

What about welding together ballast tank sections made of vacuum formed
polypropylene, and have such tanks supported by ribs of steel or aluminum,
external to the pressure hull.

Designed to be dismantled for cleaning. This would also ensure proper
access to the external surface of the pressure hull itself.

Polypropylene in itself is lighter than water (SG=0.95), so there would be
some weight savings, too.

"The heat fusion welding process used to join the Aquatherm pipe and
fittings is so leak-proof that it is used in natural gas piping
applications and has been used in more than 70 countries for over three
decades...

Using the polypropylene made everything go super-quick ? we just fused it
and let it set for a few minutes, where with the CPVC we had to let the
glue set for 24 hours, and that alone saved a day on the job", ref

http://www.esmagazine.com/Articles/Case_In_Point/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000691766

Just a thought,
Jens Laland

--
In asserting which technologies are likely to be of crucial importance we
must also take due note of some spectacular errors that have been made in

"There is no likelihood that man can ever tap the power of the atom",
Robert Millikan, Nobel Laureate, 1923

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible", Lord Kelvin, President
of the Royal Society, 1885