From: Alan James <alanjames@xtra.co.nz>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, Aug 25, 2010 5:28 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Escape from a K250 at 200 ft

Hi all,
A quick reply to several people. Have had relatives here all day & one is staying
in my computer room. (She's in bed while I type)
DAN--- I have a sketch of a K250 that I'm putting horizontal lines through at various
points to illustrate what happens when you flood a hull. I'd like to see a white paper
on sub escape written, maybe a group effort.
GREG--- It surprised me how quickly the hull flooded but more importantly as the last
section flooded the rate of pressure change really went up.
Thanks for those figures on recommended descent speed. We would be definitely violating
them. I think there would be a median fill speed that would both keep your ear drums in tact
& avoid getting you the bends. As you say the valve would need to be in reach of the conning
tower.
FRANK---- I think if this was planned well & as you say take a pony bottle, you & your
passenger could get out 100 out of 100 times. If you filled the sub too fast & blew both your
& his / her ear drums & were in excruciating pain from freezing water entering them, then
your chances would go down. Re the cold-- I used to trout fish in rivers & fell over in them a
couple of times also had to jump in to get someone out. This was when there was ice in
pools on the river banks. You are definitely operational after a small initial shock period.
JIM--- I hadn't thought of the sub being on an angle, but it would probably be an advantage
as it would minimize the air pocket in the conning tower / hatch area & you wouldn't get the
explosive effect of the air rushing out. The down side is you'd have to dive down to see if the
hatch could be opened.
HUGH & VANCE--- When I was going through these figures I was very much impressed with
the fact that you really want to do everything else you can to avoid the flooding option & I
thought these figures would probably encourage others to the same conclusion. I had the
thought of getting a list of local technical divers ph. numbers & leaving them with my boat
person.
However you go to the trouble of putting a flood valve in your hull so you may as well
learn how to use it properly. I will re-calculate based on your flood calculator Hugh, when
Jon puts it up.
ALL---- Someone mentioned Narcosis. At 200ft they say it's the same as having 6 Martinis.
Maybe someone could do some research on this & tell us how easy it is to get out of there
sub (on dry land). Vance you've got a couple of subs haven't you.???
I liked the suggestion someone made of having a small bottle of mixed gas on board to avoid
bends & Narcosis.
Alan