To: <member-forum@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 4:46 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MEMBER-FORUM] discussing same topic in two different forum

Thanks Ian...good points.

In the first instance you mention I don't see any difference between details that come up on a private list not transferring to the public list, and not responding to bad information at all if only the public list existed. In both cases the end result is that bad information ends up on the list. I think the question becomes, is PSUBS liable for bad info on its public lists, or maybe put another way, does PSUBS have an obligation to correct erroneous information submitted to the list or delete information believed to be a bad practice? I think that is the second point you mentioned. If we do have an obligation to correct such information, who are the "experts" that can correct the info? Assuming we can identify them how do we "force" them to participate and correct the erroneous information? What if the information supplied as a correction is also erroneous in whole or in part?

I've talked to a couple of lawyers about liability issues and the common theme I have gotten from them is that detailed information should be limited to members. There's no problem having a public web site to describe what you do, show what you've done, promote yourself and attract new people. But details such as fabrication practices and advice, the calculators we publish, etc, shouldn't be open to the public at large. Now to be fair they didn't cover their mouths and say "OH MY...you're doing THAT?!?!" However from their legal perspective it wasn't a "best practice". Another thing to keep in mind is that if we ever became a non-profit group the IRS would not allow a public mailing list.

I'm not calling for a boycott of the public list, but from my perspective it would be nice if the public list became a place to answer general questions, correct erroneous information that might appear there from non-members, and act as an entry point to pull people into the membership. There are currently 221 email addresses on the public mailing list. If you look at the list archive you'll see that only about 10% of those people actually contribute to any discussions. Of that 10% (22 people on average), 80% are members. I'll be perfectly honest and say that I don't feel we have a duty to cater to the 200 email address holders who are just monitoring the list because of a general curiosity. We don't see a rotation of those 221 addresses in which a different 10% are contributing at various times. The reality is that the 10% who are contributing are the same people all the time.

In some situations, I think reduced visibility may actually be what we want. This may seem counter-intuitive given that we want exposure for the organization, and especially coming from someone like me who is constantly trying to market the organization, but there are some good reasons for doing so. One is that a few of our members have been told "off-record" that some authorities believe we are one mistake away from federal regulation. Well, mistakes are definitely going to be made. While I'm not suggesting we hide things, do we really want our mistakes advertised in a public arena?

Jon