Because of the size of the ring, I get much better results with a softer O-ring material.

Best Regards,

Jim K

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 8:21 AM, Dan H. <Jumachine@comcast.net> wrote:
Alan,

Go with the K-350 350 dove tail design.  There is nothing wrong with having an O-ring snap into the dove tail grove to hold it in place.  As far as the amount of squeeze, refer to an O-ring manual to be sure the K design is what is recommended for the ring your using.

Dan H
----- Original Message -----
From: Alan James
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:29 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] O ring groves

Hi submarine experts,
I'm looking at hatch O rings & groves.
I see that on the K250 hatch plan the o ring grove is dovetailed on the inner edge.
Is this done on the K350?
I think I can remember hearing advice to buy an O ring slightly smaller than the
grove diameter so that it is held up against this dove tailed edge. I've been reading
that the dove tail grove is not recommended & that the O ring should start off central in the grove.
Also I've seen some hatches with the O ring grove in the lower (conning tower)
side hatch face.
Has anybody got any thoughts / words of wisdom on this thanks.
Regards Alan