Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Cooling the cabin: a suggested solution

Even in the tropics, the water temp at 100 feet deep is enough to cool the sub. It's at or near the surface where the heat build-up is bad.
For Dean, Jim, and all the northern psub guys, heating is more of an issue than cooling. I seem to remember a thread on this some time back. I think a chemical mixture in a sealed box creating a heat source was mentioned as a possible method of heating air without using electrical resistance heaters that obviously would suck up a lot of battery power.
The box would need to be robust and completely sealed to prevent gasses escaping. Should be fairly easy to fabricate a canister type system so the heat or cold source could be switched out easily.
Frank D.