RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CNG power for subs

Frank,   The infrastructure exists, it's all over the place.  Most all urban areas have natural gas, maybe you don't have it up in the mountains where you live but it's everywhere else.  We have it here at our house.  All that is missing are the small compressor units to fill tanks, many people have them at their house.  You can find them on line.   We also have a couple of filling stations in our general area.  There are enough filling staions where if you planned your trip accordingly you could get from point A to point B.  There is also the option of having duel fuel capability.  I would love to find a used CNG vehicle, from my experiance they are getting snached up pretty quickly, if you have a line on one let me know !  Congress just pass a bill that promotes CNG ( about the only positive thing they've done) this last week.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 10:59 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] CNG power for subs

You may be hard pressed to find a filling station for CNG.
I was looking in Calif. and a barely used 1/2 ton chev pick-up could be had for $5k or so. The same truck in gasoline was $12K to $15K. ( under 30K miles, no dents, etc. )
Soooo.......I did an extensive search on where I could fill-er-up with CNG.
Good luck on that !!!!
The San Francisco Bay Area with well over 3-1/2 million people has three locations. All owned by Pacific Gas and Electric. Did I mention that fleet vehicles ONLY are allowed to even ASK for a tank ?
VERY few places will sell to the public, and they are spaced so far apart you just can't get there from here.
No wonder they're givin' the damn things away.
I love the idea of getting off Saudi oil, but the infrastructure just ain't there.
Even in Calif. that's all green and enviro, with tax breaks and grants, lots of political hot air, there's no incentive to go that route.
T. Boone Pickens was pushing it for awhile and even he gave up. After securing  $Millions$  in leases.
 Frank D.