[PSUBS-MAILIST] Which transducer, thru-hull or transom mounted?

Hi,

I have an Interphase PC-View sonar unit I want to play around
with, I don't have the transducers for it yet.  I wondering if
somebody here has any insight into which is best for use on a
sub, transom mounted or thru-hull?

If I use transom mounted type (cable attached - and hopefully
well potted), then I'll modified one end of the cable to attach
to a thru-hull connector (and maybe oil compensate the rest of the
cable).

If I use a thru-hull transducer, then I will probably mount it
on it's own pod (maybe put the processing unit in the pod),
then have another cable running from the pod to the sub hull
relaying data gathered.

Link:
http://www.interphase-tech.com/pcview.htm

I hope to be able to extract useful data without using the
Interphase software, then display it in my own user interface.

Any input welcome.

Cheers!
   Ian.