From: Jon Wallace <jonw@psubs.org>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Acrylic
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Wednesday, June 23, 2010, 8:14 PM

Brian,

Check out this site http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/uw_wpns/uw_wpns.htm for some seemingly good info on the topic although I can't speak to it's accuracy.  Do a search for underwater explosions on the internet and you'll find some other good information as well.  I assume you are talking about the submarine, presumably some distance away from the sunken vessel, and not the ROV which would presumably be in the immediate vicinity of the explosion (possibly responsible for it).  As the above web site illustration shows, the bulk of damage is due to the expanding "steam void" when it is in contact with the vessel.

Simply speaking, the acrylic windows would be expected to fail if the pressure wave reaching them exceeds the amount of pressure they are designed to resist.  Whether they develop small cracks or fail catastrophically is beyond our experience I think.

Jon