Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] submarine kit-builder's society rules

Hi Jon,

was doing a similar psubs count in my head the other day, I got
up to over 30 of them, but realized probably a more pertinent
question is how many active psubs are there.  I.E.  how many
psubs dived in the last 12 months?  I am guessing this number
is much lower.

I feel we should avoid inviting or preempting any additional
legislation for private submarines.  We are already subject
to the same level of inspection and legislation as a home
made boat, and if we so desire we can (at a cost) subject
our own projects ABS (or some other authority's) legislation
process.  And of course, if a psub completely failed the ABS
cert process, there is no legal implications preventing the
owner from operating it.

Two other questions that sprang to mind while reading this thread,
"what are we scared of that requires policing" and "what benefits
would we get from additional legislation".  I can't help but
notice that all the badly designed/built psubs don't make it
passed a "dunk" type test - this is normally followed by the owner
selling it and/or taking up a different hobby.  The only real
time I see a need for self policing is in the case another list
member brought up - somebody attempting to dive an unsafe psub
at the convention.  At this point we should alert the appropriate
water body authority and wash our hands of the situation(...?).

As for the benefits, I can't really find any benefits which I
don't already have access to if I desire (for example, hiring
an engineer or ABS surveyor to do inspections/calculations).

That been said, I am quite pro-ABS standards, especially for
submersibles, and I intend to follow them as closely as I can.
Unfortunately ABS doesn't contain a section for certifying
concrete pressure hulls.  However many bodies have dealt with
certifying concrete structures (bridges, tunnels, dams,
skyscrapers, oilrigs, etc.), so I don't think it'll be too
hard to draft up some procedures which are similar (in process
and spirit) to something the ABS might write.

I expect we will be discussing this topic in some depth at
this years convention. :)

Cheers!
 Ian.