To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass hulls

On 6/4/2010 9:10 AM, Alan James wrote:
Thanks for your support Marc.
I'm printing that email out because it was a good summary of what I'd
read on the subject.
Additionally the weave is important because where the fibers cross each
other they bend
& create a point of weakness.

That's not the right way to look at it - there are no "points of weakness." What any crinkle in the fibers signifies is that you have to apply correction factors - available in the literature - to the strength and stiffness of the resulting laminate. Similar correction factors have been used for nearly a century to predict fabric strength from yarn strength. Fabric being the thoroughly standardized material that it is, those correction factors are highly reliable and can be used for design. Many designers - especially amateurs - make the mistake of specifying unidirectional tapes because of the very high strength and stiffness achieved under ideal conditions, not realizing that minor errors in workmanship carry a high penalty with uni that would not even be noticeable with fabric. Better by far to specify fabric and accept the lower allowables.

Fiberglass is the " F " word on the Psub site. Mainly because safety is
a big part of what the
group is all about. Ironically you need to know how really bad
fiberglass is & what the pitfalls
are before you should consider using it. I've learnt enough to know I
don't know enough &
that's why I want to talk to a composites expert; & if not too
prohibitively expensive, get my
design analyzed & a lay up designed. With some great programs out there
it should make fiberglass
safer & more viable.

There's not much to say to this. If a Psubs member or anyone else doesn't want to use FRP, he's entitled to his preference, but in purely objective terms composites make more sense for small submersibles than metals, for the reasons that I have already given. As for learning the pitfalls of a material, that is indisputable advice, but it applies to ALL materials, not just composites. I have a strong feeling that people who assume that metals are the only way to go are seeing them through rose-colored glasses, simply because they are the established technology and there doesn't seem to be any need for research.

Best,
Marc

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG