From: Alan James <alanjames@xtra.co.nz>
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fiberglass hulls
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Wednesday, June 2, 2010, 5:23 PM

Hi & thanks Alec & Greg,
I've vacillated between fiberglass & steel for nearly 2 years now & have a few good books
on the subject. It's very complex unlike steel, that's why when I get the polystyrene full
scale model as close as possible to what I want,  I'm going to draw up the design &
book in some time with a composites engineer. I've had a brief talk with a design engineer who's
worked on Americas cup yachts. His firm has a large program that can analyze  for pressure
& design a lay up plan also. Maybe I'll have to draw in big safety margins. I'm prepared
to abandon the idea of composites if it's looking too costly or not viable in other ways.
& no I'm not going fiberglass to make it lighter. It's going to end up heavier as I have to go
thicker than with metal. Bottom line also is it will be tested unmanned to twice the operating depth.
I'm trying to make this really small wich has been my design ambition from day 1. This involves an
ergonomically designed hull that transitions from spheres to cones to cylinders & involves varying
thicknesses of material, wich would be really difficult to achieve with metal.
Regards Alan