RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] through hull reinforcement

Why are you making it out of fiberglass?

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Alan James
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:00 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] through hull reinforcement

Hi people,
I need to design the reinforcement of the area around my hatch seat.
I've read that with through hulls a general rule is you replace as much material as has been removed
at a 1/4 gradiant.
My sub is small & is being made of fiberglass. At this stage I'm just trying to get in the ballpark with
my design calculations, as I intend to take take my drawings to a composite engineer & get them
analysed & corrected where necessary.
Would the reinforcement be better on the inside of the hull, the outside, or divided evenly on both sides.???
Thanks regards Alan
P.S. To European & South African psubbers. NewZealand hot favourites for the world cup.