Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

I've published the results from the latest run of my opening reinforcement program at http://www.psubs.org/design/pvho for discussion purposes only. The values for nozzle thickness are a bit smaller than the previous results, but not by much, averaging about .05 inches. These values are based upon the formulas for Cylindrical Shells Under External Pressure in ABS Rules for Underwater Vehicles, sections 6/19.5.1 and 6/19.7 which matches the rules used by the hull calculator spreadsheet on the web site. I can now match various data points against the hull calculator.

There are a number of variables that can be manipulated to reach the final dimensions of a large penetration. By going through the various ABS and ASME rules you could reach a unique configuration that might reduce the thickness of the nozzle. For example, while a reinforcement "pad" is no longer acceptable by the standards for PVHO, a reinforcement "ring" such as was used in the PC-8 would be acceptable. The difference between a "pad" and a "ring" is that instead of the reinforcement sitting on top of the hull as in the case of a "pad", the reinforcement ring is integral to the hull (becomes part of the hull with full penetration welds between hull-ring-nozzle) and therefore meets the standard. I don't know how difficult fabrication of a ring would be for the home-builder however, and the setup/welding must be within very small tolerances.

As the diagram and text on http://www.psubs.org/design/pvho indicate, the results are based upon a nozzle that extends into the cabin. This is not a requirement, however you get ALOT of reinforcement value by doing so. For example, in the case of a design depth of 875 feet, a 23 inch nozzle extending only .625 inches into the cabin of a 1/4 inch hull results in a 50 percent reduction of the nozzle thickness. The extension into the cabin does not have to be much to get maximum reinforcement value, and by the standard is limited to 2.5 x Hull-Thickness. So for a 1/4 inch hull, the nozzle only has to extend .625 inches into the cabin to get maximum reinforcement value. For a 1/2 inch hull the nozzle extension only has to be 1.25 inches. You can of course extend further into the hull as is convenient, but any extra length beyond 2.5x hull-thickness can not be used for purposes of calculating reinforcement.

I am convinced as well, that by hiring a mechanical engineer and submitting plans with alternate configurations which could be justified appropriately, possibly with FEA attached, one could get ABS approval for a large penetration design incorporating a thinner nozzle. However, I don't know what the costs involved are and whether it is financially feasible for us as home-builders. I don't like the raw results the formulas pushed by the standards give us, and am still encouraging others to look into this issue to either confirm or challenge those results in case I've interpreted the standard incorrectly. I would be more than willing to admit to misinterpretation of those standards, however I am pretty well convinced at this point that the posted results are accurate based upon the standards.

While I haven't made the calculator publicly available yet because there is still some minor work to complete, I will provide access to the program for purposes of verification, to anyone who wants to validate the process and formulas I've used.

Jon