Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hull Penetration and Reinforcement

After considerable time looking at ABS and ASME standards for hull openings and reinforcement, I've completed an online calculator for hull penetrations (Radial to hull, and circular). This is separate from Hugh's spreadsheet calculator which I hope to use for cross-referencing and comparison before publishing either of them on the website. What I thought would be a simple matter of converting some algebraic formulas into computer code turned out to be much more than that, primarily because the formulas in isolation are not enough to explain the nuances and theory that must be considered for hull penetration, and because, my strategy was to use the known specifications of the K250 (certified by ABS in 1970) and K350 (certified by Lloyds in 1980) to check the results of the calculator.

Unfortunately, neither the K250 nor K350 conning tower reinforcement specifications match results I am getting from ABS/ASME formulas. Kittredge plans call for an 23 ID insert of .75 inch thickness to transition from the hull to the conning tower. However, the ASME formulas are showing a required thickness of 1.248 inches. With Kittredge gone now I can only assume that either the formulas and requirements have changed since he his plans were certified back in 1970 and 1980, or he received a waiver to use thinner material. There is some evidence to support an argument that ASME formulas are excessively conservative in some cases. In 2000, a paper called "A Proposed Method for Finding Stress and Allowable Pressure in Cylinders with Radial Nozzles" was written regarding this issue. It is interesting reading but apparently was never incorporated into ASME rules.

There are many nuances and peripheral considerations required to understand openings and reinforcement in general. Radial, hill-side, inclined, and tangential openings are possible. And that blasted-bloody-{insert-adjective-here} "F" correction factor that caused me so much aggravation trying to understand what it was, and what to do with it. If you don't know what these terms mean relative to the geometry of hull openings you'll need to brush up on the terminology and application. Fortunately there are some good references on the web that make most of this understandable while also illustrating the complexity involved with the mere act of cutting a hole in your pressure vessel hull. Probably the best document I found was at http://www.pdhonline.org/courses/m205/m205content.pdf which does a great job of illustrating most of the terms you will read about in the ABS/ASME specs. At least in my case, a picture is worth a thousand words and this document has lots of illustrations that do a great job explaining things.

Other references I've found that are helpful:
http://www.pveng.com/documents/content_157.pdf
http://www.absa.ca/IBIndex/ib05-005.pdf
http://www.gowelding.com/pv/asme8-nozzle.pdf

I have created a table of results from a few calculations using both the K350 and some hypothetical subs designed for 1000 and 2000 foot depths which can be accessed at http://www.psubs.org/design/pvho/ and includes some notes regarding those calculations. I would like to see some independent verification of these results before making the calculator public on the website, especially considering that I can't verify against the K-sub specifications. The more people we can get to look at the results and do an independent calculation, the better.

The calculator has the following restrictions:
1) Penetration Radial (perpendicular) to the Hull
2) Nozzle is unstiffened
3) Both nozzle and hull opening are circular
4) All reinforcement is integral to the nozzle
5) Hull thickness and required hull thickness are identical