Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] powering a sub for surface travel

Thanks Jens and all. I expected to get some feedback about a gasoline generator inside the sub. I was just thinking how a guy could run on the surface without draining the limited battery power.
I'm hoping to have a small outboard on my boat for long distance surface travel and although it is planned to be small enough to bring inside, it won't be. ( A 20 horse Yamaha or Mercury will just fit )  The plan is to transfer it to the surface support boat when diving.
Getting back to the power thing though, my early designs included a tether with power, communications, and compressed air lines when diving above 100 feet. This could have given me 220 volt AC power to drive the sub, with battery power and no tether for deeper dives. As my knowledge increased and good advice received from the group it became clear the additional resources available from a tether system probably weren't worth the extra complexity of a dual power system. ( 220 volt AC and 36 volt DC )
As for surface travel, a small outboard just seems like the most simple for a submarine so small.
 I was just crunching the numbers in the shop last night and figured it COULD be possible to run a little generator  while driving the sub out say 5 miles or so to reach the dive spot.
Those little camping generators run a long time on a gallon of gas and are pretty quiet. Still, 1/2 speed on two Minnkotas won't get you very far in a couple of hours. That's why the big guys have SHIPS to carry their subs around. Must be nice to have a big check book.
Frank D.