Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2010 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] video link Eurosub

In a message dated 4/7/2010 6:10:11 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, lgeyer@bigpond.net.au writes:
and making many unnecessary calculation.My depth aim at this stage is only 100 meters (150 psi),however considering your weight and depth I may be restricting myself ?
That is;
Length approx
Breath approx
Height approx
Sheet Steel thickness (obviously banded)
Net weight
Payload weight (passengers & extra gear for dive etc.)
Hi Les. Not to butt in but........
First off welcome aboard and remember to have fun with this adventure.
One of the things I found most useful when I was in the early stage of contemplating a sub and making a design to fit my needs was to make inexpensive full size mock-ups.
I made several of these using wire frames and cardboard. Almost free !
Not only was it a lot of fun to sit inside these contraptions and imagine how everything would fit, I was ultimately able to reach decisions on what shape, how big, where the windows should be, seating, and many other "little things" that turned out later to be quite critical.
During last year's convention we visited Phil's shop in Vancouver and I was surprised to see that he has done the same thing with his sub designs. He builds full size wooden mock-ups of his boats and it really helps to "get it right" in your head.
The complicated calculations for all the "stuff" comes after you've made choices on what you want.
If it takes a little thicker steel, a little bigger ballast tank, a few more pounds of this or that......the amount of work building it doesn't change that much.
I had some pre-determined restrictions on size and weight due mostly to how difficult it would be to launch and transport but these were secondary to the sub meeting my goals of carrying capacity and comfort.
The new sub in the video is probably the best example of what can be done by a home builder, even though it has a lot of very high quality components.
Everyone has a different idea of what a personal submarine means to them, what they expect to accomplish with it, and how deep they want to go.
Generally, you won't go wrong using the Eurosub as a basic design. It's a first class boat and as a basic platform has all the right stuff for a complete working sub.
I'm sure you'll enjoy this adventure and I look forward to hearing more about your project as it progresses through the various stages. Again, remember to have fun.
Frank D.