I could be wrong, so you may want to check further before trying it.

Best Regards,

Jim K

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Brian V. Ryder <brian@subatlantic.com> wrote:

Has anyone tried rainX   works great on masks and pilot house windows

Brian V. Ryder

brian@subatlantic.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Cliff Redus
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 2:03 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] video link Eurosub

Emile

Excellent job on the video.  I especially liked all the underwater video of the boat while it was maneuvering and the sound track was great. She a beautiful boat.

On the viewport condensation issue, prior to the Vancouver Psub convention, I was having similar condensation issues and would just use a cloth to clear the viewport.  The problem is I was having to  clear repeatably.  At the convention, I noticed that the Deepworker 2000 crew applied, as part of their predive checklist, a thin layer of Joy dish washing detergent  http://www.usahardware.com/inet/shop/item/61590/icn/20-845073/procter_gamble/21737.htm with a clean rag. When you first apply this, it leaves a hazy appearance so I was skeptical.  But at the converntion and when I tried this on my boat, I found this worked wonderfully.  The water condensation seems to spread out evenly rather than beading up so after a few minutes the viewport was very clear.  This seems to work for duration of the dives I have made.  The Deepworker 2000 crew said they had experimented with several types of soap but that Joy Soap seemed to work the best.

According to http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_ingredients_for_joy_dishwashing_liquid, the Ingredients for Joy Liquid Soap include:

Water , Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Sodium Pareth-23 , C12-14-16 Dimethyl Amine Oxide , SD Alcohol 40-B , Undeceth-9 , PPG-26 , Sodium Chloride , Cyclohexanediamine , Polyacetate , Fragrance , FD&C Yellow #5 , D&C Red No. 33

 My guess is that detergent reduces the surface tension of the water or that it changes the wetablilty of the acrylic surface to water wet which would again promote spreading out of the water drops.

What ever it does, it seems to work.  You might give it a try the next time you take your boat out.

Cliff

Great works are performed not by strength but by perseverance.
Samuel Johnson

Cliff Redus
Redus Engineering
USA Office: 830-663-6445