Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] rotating tru hull

Hi Scott. I'm not an expert on the K boats but putting the "O" rings on the shaft rather than inside the sleeve has an advantage. First off it's much easier to make the groove on a shaft. The groove needs to be very smooth and as the mechanism ages it will be easier to clean the groove and inspect it for wear. If there are scratches or imperfections from the machining process in the groove it can lead to "weeping" of water past the "O" ring when the pressure differential is low like at or near the surface.
As for the sleeve, it's surface needs to be very smooth also. The area where the "O" ring contacts needs to be very smooth. Think of the shaft on a hydraulic cylinder.....Very smooth.
Whether the groove is inside or outside, a rotating shaft application needs to be smooth so it doesn't wear out the "O" ring.
If the groove is carved into the shaft then the total diameter is reduced at that point.  If it's critical that the shaft be a certain size then it will need to be increased in size to compensate for the groove.
Again, not being a K boat builder I don't know which penetration you're referring to but here's a couple of thoughts. The shafts which rotate the side motors don't spin very quickly or even make full rotations which tells me the "O" rings won't receive a lot of wear. On the other hand the shaft penetration for a motor inside the sub spins rapidly and will wear more quickly. In either case though, the "O" ring isn't the "bearing" and if the shaft has any clearance at all ( gotta be a little, right ? ) then the "O" ring will be compressed more on one side than the other. A sealed roller or thrust bearing would be required on both sides of the penetration so the shaft remains in the middle of the sleeve and takes the lateral force on the shaft rather than the "O" ring being used as a bearing. In the case of an inside motor this would be critically important as the forces of the motor and propeller would wear out an "O" ring quickly.
There's a company called "Parker" that has a good web site for all things related to "O" rings and their information book can be down loaded. It explains all the different types of material used for "O" rings and how each material is best suited for a particular application. The book also has information and diagrams on many different types of grooves ( they call them "glands" ) and there's charts with exact dimensions for the grooves ( glands ) and many different types as it relates to a rotating shaft, extending shaft, etc.
As to your question about "hardware store" "O" rings.....sorry, that ain't gonna work. These "O" rings aren't made for serious applications or exposure to the rigors of a submarine application. Get the info from Parker ( it's free ) and make your choice with that info. You don't have to buy the "O" rings from them. In fact....you can't !  They only sell through distributors. You can get "O" rings from McMasterCarr very cheaply. The "O" rings I bought through Parker for my hatch were $140 for two and a big hassle getting through a local dealer.
The same "O" rings from McMasterCarr are $16 each and easy to get.
Frank D.