[PSUBS-MAILIST] Very Heavy endcaps

Hi All,

Ive been making some slow but steady progress on my sub.

Im am at the stage where i am starting work on the endcaps.  A few penetrations to go in and then i am ready to assemble the main parts of the hull together.

But I have what i think is a problem with the endcaps.  I specified the correct thickness as per the plans (3/8ths)  but they are spun so while they are 3\8ths (10mm approx) at the centre, they are 13mm at the edge.

I dont know the exact weight but they seem extremely heavy to me.

Questions:

1.  Are they to heavy?

2.  Do i need to machine a taper onto the inside diameter to take the 13mm down to 6mm (hull thickness) in a controlled manner or can i just bevel it for welding?  If i do not machine it, there will be quite a step from 6 - 13mm.  I have a feeling it should have a stress reducing taper like where the main tower shell joins the hull reinforcement ring.

Endcaps link - http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page493.htm
Taper Example link - http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page3975.htm

What have other people done at this point??

Many thanks for your advice.
James