To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 1:16 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] High-Pressure Cable Gland

Re.: Insulated electrical leads into pressure vessels...

"Several designs for insulated lead-ins have been tried, but that shown in
Fig. 131 has given satisfactory service over several years, when working
with various fluids, including carbon dioxide, ethylene, hydrogen,
nitrogen, water and transformer oil. A double cone arrangement is used to
enable the apparatus to be used at pressures above and below atmospheric.
No leaks are observed for pressures up to 300 atm. and down to vacuum
equivalent of at least 0.1 cm. of mercury and over a temperature range of
0-80° C. With cone angles, other than those shown, extrusion of the
plastic occurred. Polystyrene was originally used as the insulating
material but it fissures under varying pressures and leaks occur. Some
batches of Perspex were found much more satisfactory. Under varying
pressure this material expands but does not crack."  [From the book
LABORATORY AND WORKSHOP NOTES 1953-1955]

Click link below to view the uploaded sketch, etc.

ftp://ftp.artematrix.org/through-hull/parbrook1953.jpg

Best regards,
Jens Laland

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG