Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 36V verses 24V

Scott, if you want to use a 36 (or greater) volt system, it is simply a matter of series-connecting batteries or individual cells until you get the desired system voltage. Your charger would work across the whole bank, charging at 36V. There are a few ways to take 12V off of this without requiring a completely isolated 12V battery bank. The simplest, which is not recommended, is simply to draw 12V off of an appropriate number of batteries or cells in your bank. In that case, you would simply tap off the bank negative and an appropriate intermediate positive terminal. The reason this is not recommended is that this unequally drains the batteries, making them more difficult to charge, and over repeated charging cycles, reducing their performance. Another possible method, which is useful if you know all of your 12V loads with reasonable accuracy, is to split them among all of the batteries in your bank, similar to the method above, but split according to load in order to drain all of the batteries equally. Even if you get this right, however, this method has the disadvantage of having all of your 12V circuits at different potentials, which may complicate wiring and limit your expansion options - it's easy to make an expensive mistake when playing around with electrical connections at different potentials. The third, and best solution for simplifying charging and increasing battery longevity, is to use a DC to DC converter which takes the bank's 36V as an input and provides 12V at the output. By spanning the whole bank, this ensures that the batteries are equally drained. The disadvantage of such a converter is that it is inefficient, requiring greater capacity in the bank, and it is expensive. Depending on the scope and complexity of your electrical system, however, that may still be a better option than a completely isolated 12V bank. Note that an isolated emergency backup power system is not a bad idea and is advocated by ABS, so that is a consideration.
-Sean

Scott Waters wrote:
Ok. So I want to make sure I got all the facts straight. (This is for my K-350) 36volt:
Advantage - More effecient power
Advantage - Has ability to provide more thrust (good in current or dangerious situations)
Advantage - Last longer and won't overheat as likely
Disadvantage - Need second tru-hull (from pod to hull) because of gauge of wire
Disadvantage - difficult to charge because of 12V and 36V both in pod
Disadvantage - more money for wire and parts
12volt:
Advantage - Easyier to wire (no need for extra tru-hull
Advantage - Easy to charge
Advantage - Costs less
Disadvantage - Less effecient power
Disadvantage - Less thrust (not 100% sure will have enough power, snoopy is 12V and works, but it is smaller sub) Disadvantage - Won't last as long, possible overheating in extreme situations I am stuck in between a rock and a hard place as what to do. I want to do the 12volt, but am worried it won't have the power I need. I don't understand the K-350 plans as how to get the power from the pods to the hull. I assume you run it through the aft battery vent and actually vent with the forward vent. The blueprint only showes 2 vents per pod, yet I noticed on Persistance there is a 3rd tru-hull. That is one of the 3 main issues. The second is how in the world does the charging work with a 36V and a 12V in the sub. I can only think the way to do this is either have a 36V charger and a 12V charger or take all the batteries out and charge them separately. The 3rd issue is will a 12V system have enough power to run the motors with enough thrust for a K-350? I heard that Snoopy is all 12V and manuvers fine, but Snoopy is a K-250. I am pretty much at a stand still till I get this problem solved. The next step is attaching the battery pods, but I don't want to do that if I need a 3rd tru-hull.
Any help is greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Scott Waters
Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now. <http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469228/direct/01/>