RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] revelation

J J Actually the textbook for the Navy’s officer level course in oceanography that I took even before the graduate course was written by the renowned oceanographer Sverdrup in the 40s (he also mentioned Croakers if my fading memory still holds me).  The basics don’t change, just get more complicated as were learn more.  So enough with Croakers and other background noises, on to designing and building subs.

R/Jay

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of David Bartsch
Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2010 3:59 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] revelation

Alan,

  Since having taken his graduate oceanography test in the early 40's, I'm sure things still haven't changed much since then.

                                                                                                                                         David Bartsch

From: bottomgun@mindspring.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:43:37 -0500

Alan,

The family Sciaenidae is found in almost all oceans (and some freshwaters) of the world.  While you may not have a Croaker per se, there is a member of their family in your area that makes LOTS of noise underwater.  One of the questions on a graduate oceanography test that I took years ago asked what was the source of the greatest amount of background noise throughout the oceans and the correct answer was Croakers.

R/Jay