Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2010 2:56 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Hatch pressure

Hi Alan,

Uh-oh, problem. Although it sounds entirely reasonable, that isn't a safe hold-down method. It's essential the flange should be machined entirely off because it's the area of maximum stress in a blown dome. You could only really use the proposed method in an ambient boat. I'll let Greg weigh in as the resident expert, but if he misses this post please be sure to contact him proactively. This is a serious safety issue, not a detail.

I'm no acrylic expert, but be aware there are other details that set a submersible dome quite apart from what your local supplier may be used to fabricating. Like the annealing protocol, for instance, which as I understand it can have drastic consequences. Viewports are an area in which something may look OK but not be OK.

thanks,

Alec