Sent: Monday, February 15, 2010 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Lighting

Alan,

While dimming your lights would help a little, you still get back scatter directly into your eyes.  Since this light travels a shorter distance than what you are illuminating, it over powers the light reflected from the object of interest.  You will find  that the more light you have the more you will see (and find J).  When a lot of light and filming or video recording you may then have an issue with hot spots.  Light diffusers, wide reflectors, or off-angle light pointing can resolve these issues.  Phil had a spot and a diffused LED under development while we visited this past fall.  If I remember correctly, both lights had variable output capability.  The multiple high power LEDs were housed in an oil-filled housing with a soft transparent lens.  With the oil-filled housing the walls could be thin and still be operational at great depth.

As a side note, previous while an avid wreck diver, we noted that we found a lot more ?valuable mung? when we had brighter lights.  Also, if we video recorded what we were exploring, later review of the tapes revealed many items of interest that were overlooked during the dive.  Again, the more light we had, the more area recorded by the video cameras.  5 Watt lights underwater are candles, we were running dual 50 Watt rated bulbs at a higher voltage than they were rated for so they produced even more light (down side, they were more sensitive to shock and had a shorter burn life).  HID lights were not yet available for divers.  This was for a diver-held light so we could be closer to an object than you could be in a sub.  Remember that light power falls off with the cube of distance.

R/Jay