Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] skids

Ditch the Kittredge specified leg-up channels unless you add deep cutaways. They inevitably rust on the inner weld junctions and you can't really get to them. I replaced them with paired tabs 1 1/2" X 4" and drilled for 3/8" bolts (I use 3 pairs per side). You then take plain old pressure treated pine, drill to fit and use the timber for skids. Make sure the wood extends past the steel and keep your bolting as close to flush as possible to keep from gathering mud, rope, etc on the bottom. If they wear down some, throw them away and replace with fresh. Total cost, five bucks a pop, give or take. Mine are teak, 3 X 3s. Given the cost of teak these days, I'd go with PT pine without hesitation.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Waters <muddywatersfarm@hotmail.com>
To: psubs <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sun, Feb 14, 2010 5:09 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] skids

What do you use for the skids under the battery pods for the K-350? Is it "I" beam cut in half to make "T"s? I am ready to put the battery pods on the sub, but I wanted to put the skids on first. Any help would be most appriciated!
Thanks,
Scott Waters

Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now. =