From: Brian Cox <ojaivalleybeefarm@dslextreme.com>
To: Personal_Submersibles@Psubs. Org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thu, Feb 11, 2010 11:19 am
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hatch ring

I have a Question about where the hatch ring ( stainless 1" thick land) gets
welded to the short (4"?) piece and then that gets welded to the middle part
( where the viewports are).

Assuming that the sub is using 1/4" A516 70 steel,  the collar of the
conning tower would be 3/4 steel, then going up from there, the viewport
area (about 12") can be 1/4" ,  now that upper 4" piece, that the hatch ring
is welded to, is it ok for that piece to be 1/4" or does it need to be
heavier?

The reason for the short 4" segment is so that the hatch ring does not get
warped during the welding process, when it gets welded to the conning tower.

Thanks for any info

Brian