Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 12:15 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Electric Actuators on "Git Kraken"

Hi Alan.
   Yes, there is going to be some significant displacement of oil with this actuator design. I haven't disassembled the actuators yet but am anticipating what you described for the end switches.
    The bladder system is still in the works but I am leaning towards using another "boot" made of rubber as the bladder. I'm going to get a couple of CV joint boots and plumb them to the actuator/bellows so the oil can re-locate into and out of the actuator/bellows. I have a small space between the stainless ballast tank and the hull that will hold the bladders.
I like the easy availability of these boots, and their low cost.
I found a website that shows the dimensions of each different boot they make ( about a hundred different ones ) then cross referenced what vehicles they fit. Just went down to the auto parts store and ordered the ones I needed. Real easy to get new ones. Some are only $6 ea. Takes one day to get them.
   BLADDER DESIGN:    The CV joint boot fits over a 4 inch dia. PVC reducer bushing with a 1/2 inch female threaded hole in the bottom. This 1/2 inch hole will be plumbed to the fitting on the actuator bellows. The aluminum end caps on the actuators need a small hole drilled in them for oil transfer as the actuator rod extends/retracts.
    I had considered a common oil reservoir with a spring and diaphragm, with tubes running to each actuator, but by using the aforementioned space the plumbing lines will be very short, and a failure on one won't affect the other two. ( total of three, 2 dive planes and one for the rudders)
Access for maintenance will be simply a matter of removing the front FRP fairing and the actuators and oil reservoirs are right there. It's all located behind the 12 gage stainless ballast tank so isn't exposed to bumps or entanglement. I've made the front and rear FRP fairings easy to install, and most everything that can get tangled up is under them, protected from impact and sea weed, etc.
I found some actuators made by MinnKota that have a better "waterproof" rating. ( IP68 versus IP54 ) The problem is two-fold.
First, they are $259 each, or about the same as I paid for the MinnKota motors. The second problem is they have a 2 inch stroke. Lenco makes some as well. Even with the higher rating, they're still not made for anything below about 10 feet deep.
The plus to this is they have a switch panel that shows the relative position of the actuator with an LED bar graph. I'm just using $18 rocker switches mounted on the face of the control box, so I won't be able to tell where the dive plane position is without something else to sense that. ( still working on that one.)
This is probably going to end up as "more windows" but for now I'm just trying to get "in the water."
The silicone oil you are using is probably the best. Viscocity isn't a real issue here.
I'll try and get some more pics up as this progresses.
  PROBLEM     I think the depth rating of this idea is probably quite shallow, and when I upgrade to greater depths a HP hydraulic system will be needed for actuators, but with the oil compensation system and the relative low cost of components, it'll make a good test bed and is quick and simple. Upgrading to HP hydraulics should be relatively simple, although a little pricey when the time comes.
On a side note .......I did some work on a steering design using master/slave hydraulics. Here's a sketch.
Let me know what you think.
Frank D.