RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sub picture

David,

Great image!  I had the opportunity to tour forward and aft either the Skipjack or the Shark while on a port visit to NLON.  Things were considerably tighter aboard these boats as compared with a 637-Class boat.  Interesting design with a much taller sail in proportion to later boats (they had a companionway so that you could step directly out onto the sail plane).  The Sturgeon Class had only a small decrease in speed due to the increased hull diameter and length over the Skipjack Class.

R/Jay

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of David Bartsch
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 6:14 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sub picture

   This attached picture is in itself a travel in time. It shows a Skipjack class sub transiting at high speeds on the surface.
   Nuclear power had been harnessed and we had several teardrop hull fast attack submarines that were second to none. The fastest boats in the world.
   These first teardrop hulls were hard to produce and were left behind as the need for more submarines dictated a more streamlined process of making them faster. These were expensive to make.
   On the slim sail the sailors seemed on top of the world as it sliced thru the waves.
   I saw one up close once but was unable to take the time and take a tour. I regret this and always will. You really have to force yourself to slow down and take the time.

                                                                                           David Bartsch