[PSUBS-MAILIST] How to make a spring?

Title: How to make a spring?

Hi all,
I'm needing some stainless springs 3.5" in diameter, and my usual industrial suppliers don't stock anything near as large. These would be quite soft springs which will keep the Sofnolime in the scrubbers compressed so that free flow paths don't develop if it settles (the scrubbers will be horizontal tubes).

I know some of you have made your own springs in the past. Any tips on how to do so? Surely there's a little more to it than winding a stainless wire around a cylinder?

many thanks,

Alec