[PSUBS-MAILIST] Public Outreach Program

Psubbers,

One of the areas that I hope we can expand on this year is an "outreach" program where we expand our interest beyond concentration of fabrication issues and delve into dive operations, education, and community involvement with our submersibles. Construction is only one phase of owning a submersible which when finished inevitably leads to the question "Now what?"

Because of the uniqueness of our vessels, we have a unique opportunity to use them for much more than just a short spin under the lake. As I have mentioned in previous emails as a means of illustration, backyard astronomers make useful contributions to science and education by accounting for the vast majority of newly discovered comets, monitoring variable stars, and tracking asteroids. While the professional astronomers are using Hubble to unlock the depths of the universe and test theories of relativity, the backyard astronomers are keeping an eye on areas of the sky closer to home that their smaller instruments are able to adequately monitor. Likewise, we also have the ability to make useful contributions to science and education related to oceanographic study and underwater environments. While the professionals study tube-worms and tectonics tens of thousands of feet under the oceans surface in multi-million dollar submarines, there's a large area of ocean bottom not regularly being monitored or investigated between 120 and 1,000 feet.

I raise this issue once again because it has come to my attention that just a few days ago a conference was held in the Washington DC area sponsored by Aerospace and Electronic Systems Society with a NOAA representative as the primary speaker, to cross-pollinate ideas between various agencies and specialties involved with undersea exploration and research including technical diving and manned submersibles. I have it on good authority that PSUBS was brought up during informal conversations by people attending this conference and discussing the involvement of psubs in programs that further ocean conservation, science, or education. If realized, this could mean providing useful contributions to scientific research while at the same time enjoying your submersible.

This then seems like a good reason, and time, to bring this topic up once again.

Of course, such oceanographic research is only one possibility and there are plenty of other opportunities that you can help with in terms of public outreach. How about sponsoring a public display of your submersible? Or what about contacting your local indoor shopping mall and offering to put your sub on display for a week (roped off of course). Have you ever considered contacting the science department of your local school and offering to talk about underwater diving in a submarine, or bringing your sub to the school and explaining how it works. Trust me, I was a member of the school board for 9 years and schools LOVE that kind of interaction. Most towns and cities beg to find participants for parades. The next time your home-town has a parade, why not sign up and tow your sub down main street (George Kittredge did it in 2008 at the Maine Lobster Festival).

For those of you who own submarines, or will have a sub soon, please consider this plea for public outreach. In the past I have merely made an announcement when some group or entity was requesting a service and waited for one or more of you to respond, however I'm hoping we can become more proactive starting this year. We have a "Public Display" web page on our web site to advertise these kind of things and I would like to invite you to be on it. I'm asking you to look at http://www.psubs.org/pubdisp and consider listing your availability in whatever capacity you are comfortable with, and I promise that we will help you with any coordination or support.

For those of you without submarines, you are still able to contribute by perhaps giving a talk in your local community or visiting a local school. You could for example use the DVD "Wally's First Dive" as a multi-media tool and then provide more detail about how submarines operate and what they can be used for.

If you can help out with this "outreach" project, please contact me off-list.

Thank you!
Jon