[PSUBS-MAILIST] HBH-2 versus tranducer for solids

  I tried both the HBH-2 hydrophone and a broadband voice transmitter (transducer for solids) as hydrophones side by side so as to compare results...

  Both worked well as hydrophones picking up trickling water hitting the pools surface with no problems.

  The transducer for solids will work in making a communications device as simple as possible but...a simple piezo element placed underwater and sealed to prevent it shorting out (be it in an HBH-2 housing or simply dipped in a suitable sealant) is still slightly more sensitive to underwater sound reception. A piezo based hydrophone would be better when used as a collision avoidance when comms are not in use.

   I would think the range would be slightly father with a piezo based hydrophone ( If not by much), and it would simply be a matter of personal choice on which listening device is used.
(don't you just like choices?)

                                                                                           David Bartsch