RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Engine intake and exhaust-Carsten?

I would suggest that for an Engine that the intake and exhaust are 2” minimum and that the intake air (snorkel) has a float valve on it then goes into the cabin with a 2” Ball valve.  The engine should then suck from the cabin air which keeps the cabin air fresh again through a 2” ball valve to the engine chamber/pod.  Wet exhaust is the most sensible with a loop extending above the water-line before the exhaust valve again 2” but the placement of the exhaust outlet is best just under the water surface as if it is too low it will create backpressure.  If the exhaust is facing backwards then there will tend to be a slight venturi action to lower the exhaust pressure when at max forward speed which should coincide with max power requirement.  Underwater exhaust will save having to put in a muffler. Wet exhaust also reduces noise.  Chs,  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Antoine Delafargue
Sent: Monday, 21 December 2009 9:50 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Engine intake and exhaust-Carsten?

Hello all,
I have been wondering about this issue too. I don t know what Carsten uses on his sub, but here is what I found on the web:
If you go for a 'dry' exhaust where there is no cooling water injected at the exhaust manifold of the engine, then the gases will be way too hot (450+ degrees celsius) for the typical elastomer seals located in isolation valves. The inside of the sub would be hot and noisy too.
If you go for a 'wet' exhaust with cooling water injected in the exhaust manifold, you d have a sea water loop to look after (which I think Carsten does not have any of in his boat) but the temperature at the isolation valve of the exhaust should be lower, in the range of 80-90 degrees celsius (still high enough to wonder about thermal stress and fatigue issues).
The other thing is that the exhaust including the isolation valve on the hull need to be of a large diameter (1-2" ?) to prevent a raise of back pressure at the outlet of the engine, detrimental to its life and performance.

regards
Antoine