Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Standard Thru-Hull Electrical Connector

I wasn't suggesting that we get a type-approved connector, nor that we subject any selected connector to the exhaustive testing required for type approval, but rather that we select one which, as with our hulls so far as practicable, theoretically would meet any approval requirements of such a device. Homemade is good, but not suitable for a mandated standard due to the quality control issue. A reputable off-the-shelf component is perfect for this application. My comment about the type approval had more to do with PSUBS setting a precedent with hardware standards - we must take care not to recommend conformal to type when possible / practical, and then turn around and implement a standard which would fail type on any particular criterion.

Sean

vbra676539@aol.com wrote:
I would remind you that ABS approval is expensive. Really expensive. Certifiable bulkhead penetrators (or any other kind) are designed under the approval process, tested very extensively and priced accordingly. I heard a substantiated rumor that to recable PC-1201 to ABS spec during its ground up restoration cost something on the order of $50,000 US. I wouldn't be thrilled with epoxy units either, although they are dirt cheap. Just keep in mind that we are not diving with the Deepworkers. Something in the middle might do. On that note, Emile and Carsten cooked up their own penetrators and built them in house. And homemade has a nice ring to it.
Vance